This lightly spiced carrot bread is bursting with the sweet flavor of fresh carrots. With chunks of carrot baked into every slice, it’s moist and tender crumb is perfectly complemented by a tangy orange glaze.
It comes together easily in just one bowl. A quick glaze adds the finishing touch
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated carrots, packed (about 5 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Whisk or mixer
- Loaf pan
- Parchment paper
- Wire rack
- Oven mitts or gloves
Prep the Pan
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×5” loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
Make the Batter
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the grated carrots and chopped nuts.
Bake and Cool
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the Glaze
Whisk together the powdered sugar and orange juice until smooth.
Finish and Serve
- Drizzle the glaze evenly over the cooled carrot bread.
- Let the glaze set for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Store cooled loaf wrapped at room temperature up to 5 days.
- For longer storage, wrap in plastic then foil and freeze up to 2 months.
- Serve slices with tea or as a breakfast treat
- Spread with cream cheese or nut butter
- Toast and top with ricotta and honey
Customizing Your Bread
- Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Use crushed pineapple instead of orange juice in the glaze
- Fold in raisins or dried cranberries
- Top with candied carrots before baking
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55-65 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 loaf, 12 slices
Yield: One 9×5” loaf