The amaretto sour is a twist on a whiskey sour featuring almond-flavored amaretto liqueur. This stone sour riff adds an orange slice “stone” for a fun presentation.
In just 5 minutes you can shake up this sweeter, nutty twist on the classic sour cocktail. The orange oils complement the almond liqueur beautifully.
Read on for my easy recipe, tips on achieving the perfect frothy texture, and suggestions for gifting or serving these creamy cocktails at your next happy hour. Cheers!
- 1 1/2 ounces amaretto liqueur
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon simple syrup
- 1 orange slice
- Lemon twist for garnish
- Cocktail shaker
- Hawthorne strainer
- Old fashioned or rocks glass
Make the Cocktail
- Add amaretto, lemon juice, simple syrup and orange slice to a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously for 10-15 seconds until well chilled and frothy.
- Double strain into a rocks glass filled with fresh ice.
- Garnish with a lemon twist. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 cocktail
Secrets to Creamy Amaretto Sours
- Use fresh-squeezed lemon juice for bright flavor
- Shake hard to fully integrate ingredients
- Double strain for ultra smooth, frothy texture
- Adjust syrup to balance tartness of lemon
- Substitute orange juice to make an amaretto juice “sour”
Fun Serving Ideas
- Serve in a sugar-rimmed glass for extra sweetness
- Layer amaretto and citrus liqueurs for a parfait effect
- Float cranberry juice or grenadine on top
- Rim half the glass with crushed nuts or cookies
- Garnish festively with seasonal berries
Make Them By the Pitcher
- Mix up a batch of amaretto, lemon juice and syrup in a pitcher
- Provide a pitcher of citrus wheels on the side
- Let guests help themselves and add garnishes
Perfect for parties, bridal showers and gatherings!
Give as Gifts
- Mix individual cocktails in cute jars or bottles
- Create DIY kits with amaretto, lemons, and simple syrup
- Attach instructions for assembling
- Include festive straws, napkins, or edible flowers
Such a fun homemade cocktail gift! Cheers!